This Time It’s the Gas-Prep 5.0 to Benefit CNG and Propane Vehicles
Ford has pledged to release a gaseous-prep version of its 5.0-liter spark-ignition V-8 engine for 2016, paving the way for increased sales of propane autogas- and CNG-powered versions of the popular F-150 pickup.
Two years ago Ford offered the 3.7-liter V-6 for the F-150 (F&F, July 31, 2013). Ford sold about 2,200 of the gaseous-fueled V-6 F-150s after budgeting for about 1,500, fleet sustainability manager Jon Coleman told F&F at ACT Expo 2015 in Dallas Monday..
The latest addition to the gas-prep engine line, Ford says, makes it the only manufacturer of a CNG/propane-capable half-ton pickup. The 5.0-liter order book will open in the fall, with F-150 vehicles available from four QVM/Qualified Vehicle Modifier upfitters:
- Altech-Eco, Asheville, N.C. – CNG;
- Impco Automotive – CNG and propane;
- Westport – CNG; and
- Venchurs Vehicle Systems, Adrian, Mich.
Ford also said at the start of ACT Expo 2015 in Dallas Monday that it’s sold more than 57,000 vehicles prepped to run on CNG or propane since 2009 – “seven times more than all other major U.S. automakers combined.”
‘The Broadest Portfolio’
Last year was the fifth consecutive year for record sales of gas-prepped vehicles, and “2015 is on track to be even stronger.”
Ford claims “the broadest portfolio of natural gas and propane offerings,” as the 5.0-liter engine for the F-150 joins the
- 2.5-liter DOHC I-4 in the Transit Connect;
- 3.7-liter Ti-VCT V6 in the Transit van;
- 5.4-liter V-8 and 6.8-liter V-10 in E-Series cutaway and stripped chassis vehicles;
- 6.2-liter V-8 in F-250 and F-350 Super Duty trucks;
- 6.8-liter V-10 in F-450 and F-550 Super Duty trucks;
- 6.8-liter V-10 in F-53 and F-59 stripped chassis vehicles; and
- 6.8-liter V-10 in F-650 and F-750 chassis cab.
Landi Renzo USA for CNG and Roush CleanTech for propane autogas are Ford QVMs too.
The gas-prep option from Ford costs approximately $315.00.
ACT Expo 2015 runs through May 7 at the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center in Dallas.
Contact information is only available to premium subscribers. Click here to purchase a subscription.
Source: Fleets & Fuels at ACT Expo 2015 in Dallas